I CANNOT Believe This Really Happened

Jim Carrey.gifFurious and disgusted. Those were my exact words when calling my friend to explain the morning I just had. To fully understand why I was so angry, I have to go back a few days…
Wednesday night:
I was having a great day. The boys sat and played with legos on the floor while J and I talked about our day and relaxed for a while before the usual bedtime routine. I read for a while before putting myself to sleep. I stretched out, found that spot that usually takes forever find when you’re pregnant, slipped in my fluorescent orange earplugs and took a deep breath. I was nearly asleep at 12:20 a.m.  when I felt a strong tap on my hip and a jerk of the bed. I have never seen J hop out of bed and run down the hall so quickly. L walked into our room and informed J that he had just vomited in his bed. We bolted into action and had things cleaned up fairly quickly. That once warm, perfectly content space in my bed now a distant memory as I lay towels on the couch and sit next to my poor sick little guy. We stayed in that same spot until he finally fell asleep at 5:30 or so. It was a long night to say the least.
Roughly 15 minutes after L fell asleep, D comes crying out of his room, confused, looking for his brother who is not only missing but took his blankets and sheets to his new location. This worried D to the point of tears. I jumped up, as to not let the wailing wake his sick brother, had to explain what happened during the night and coax the little confused D back to sleep.
J woke a half hour later and I was up for the day.

Yes, I was exhausted. L stayed on the couch most of the day since not getting much sleep. D wanted more attention since he had gotten plenty of sleep. Luckily for me, as long as you tell D he is doing a great job and you like whatever picture he’s coloring, I can stay in one spot and focus on not falling asleep after the whole hour of rest in the past 24. As the day progressed, L perked up and by nightfall, it was all a distant if not terrible memory.  I slept like a baby that night. It was definitely not nearly enough sleep but a vast improvement from the night before. I will take what I can get!
I had already decided to keep L home to rest, get better and hopefully not share these germs with anyone else. I spent much of the day scouring things that he may have touched that could possibly still be harboring pesky germs. Remote controls, ipad, door knobs. L seems like a normal kid today and I am so grateful. No one else has any symptoms and I think we have gotten away with only 1 person getting sick. That night, I get into bed thinking I will be able to get the rest of the sleep I was not afforded the night before. At 12:30 a.m. J erupts out of bed and heads down the hall. Again. It was D’s turn to puke in bed and we started the pattern all over again. Back to the couch we go. I resumed my position on the towel covered couch and sat, waiting for the opportunity to help the little guy get through his sickness. He finally fell asleep around 4:30 and I was able to get a few hours in before L was awake. J had some important errands to take care of so he wouldn’t be home Saturday morning.
Morning came too fast. D was up and moving around by 9 or so. He is such a resilient kid, nothing can keep him down. J never woke me and I realized he never went on his errands. I took one look at him and knew he wasn’t going anywhere. The poor guy was feeling it too. Why is it that adults get hit so much harder than the kids? The body aches, fever, cranky disposition, and overall hatred for everything on top of the physical symptoms. The day wore on very slowly. The lack of sleep is catching up to me again. I clean dishes and prepared food. The boys were not all that hungry which was fine because I didn’t feel like doing much! Jay went to lay down at about 6, the boys both fell asleep around 8 and I stayed up for a while just so I could be me. Not mom, not wife, just Meghan. As I sat, sipping my tea, watching one of my very favorites, “It’s a Wonderful Life” I start to notice this cramp in my stomach that won’t go away. Yep! You guessed it! This same bug was coming for me too. I had noticed all the other symptoms earlier but was trying to chalk them up to lack of sleep.

Death. That is the best way to describe how we’re feeling today. J and I take turns sleeping on the couch or in bed. The kids are completely better so they want us to run and play like we would every other day. They don’t understand why we won’t just get up. This was was a challenge as well but we made it. I was starting to feel better toward the end of the night.
Monday Morning
I woke up feeling a bit more rested and less full of aches and pains. I decided I was not going to sit on the couch all day and was going to feel better. I was just starting to think I could possibly eat something again! I get dressed and actually put in some effort. I get L up and ready for school. The bus shows up and here is where the real fun begins!
L walks to his seat but I am stopped by the bus driver. She gives me a look as she is unbuckling her seatbelt and says, “Can I use your bathroom? I need to use your bathroom. I’m in pain! Where is it?”  My response is something like, “uuuuuhhh, ok.” I am not a fan of letting strangers in my house especially with my 2 1/2 year old inside but what can I do in this situation?! Even though I was not asked, I stay on the bus to watch the rest of the students. She walks back out of my house 5 minutes later, walks straight up to me and says, “I overflowed your toilet a little.”

I was temporarily speechless. I looked at her and simply said, “Ok, I’ll take care of it.” Once again, what else do you say?! I walk back to the house picturing a small puddle of water on the floor. As I get inside and check to make sure D is fine, I can hear water pouring from my toilet onto the floor. I kick my snow-covered shoes off and run to the bathroom. There is water and, lets say for the sake of keeping my lunch down, “other things” pouring out of the toilet onto my floor. I reach for the plunger and immediately stop the spewing water. I now have an inch of water along my bathroom floor that needs to be cleaned up and I get to do it. Swearing and trying not to scream, I start. D keeps asking what’s wrong and all I can do is tell him to back up because I want him no where near this bathroom.
Towels. As fast as I can, towels. I pull every one from the closet and off the shower curtain. I want this off my floor now. I am so grossed out and trying not to toss my cookies after the weekend I just had. I grabbed a laundry basket, threw it into the bath tub and started to soak up every bit of liquid and solid I could. As soon as the towel was sopping wet, I threw it in the basket and threw another one down. 14 towels. That is what it took to absorb everything on my floor. Along with a floor mat, our shower curtain, a small hand towel and the boys’ toy dinosaurs they played with in the tub. They are currently on their way to a landfill as I type because there was no way we were ever touching any of that again!
I have always been one of those people who prefers natural remedies to cleaning and not using chemicals as much as possible. Today was not that day. I ran downstairs and pulled the whole gallon of bleach up from the basement. There was no way anything else was going to be acceptable in this situation. I scoured that bathroom, from top to bottom. I am now in the market for a new vanity and and suddenly grateful for the fact that the older couple who owned the house before us had installed plastic panels on the walls for easy cleanup!
This is now currently a problem for the school district as I have made a few phone calls already to ensure the safety of the children on the bus since the driver MAY be leaving people I don’t know to watch my son. This does not sit well with me and will get to the bottom if this issue as soon as possible.
Most of my blog posts have more of a point. This one is purely for your entertainment and my venting!! Days later, I still cannot believe my luck but the only thing I can really say is absolutely the most obvious!
Have a great day and if you are in Southwest Michigan tonight, Stay warm and safe, this storm may actually pack a punch!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s